Living on a small island off Chungnam in S. Korea with my wife and a pet rabbit, I translate classical Korean literature into English.
Starting September 2018, I will be attending the MA program in the Department of Asian Studies at UBC, Vancouver, Canada.
- Attended one semester in the M.A. in Philosophy program, Graduate School of Korean Studies, Academy of Korean Studies, Seongnam, Korea. March – June 2003
- Attended one semester in the J.D. program, University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, USA. September – December 1999
- Attended one semester in the M.A. in International Trade & Finance program, Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. March – June 1998
- B.A. in Philosophy, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. March 1990 – February 1997
- Completed the “English for Translation & Interpretation” summer program, Graduate School of Translation & Interpretation, Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, USA. July – August 1996.
- Completed the highest-level (Level 9-4) in the English Communication program, American Language Institute, New York University, NYC, USA. January – May 1995
- Sehwa High School, Seoul, Korea. March 1987 – February 1990
- Co-Translator, the English translation project of the Veritable Records of the Joseon Dynasty under the auspices of the National Institute of Korean History. 2012 – Present
- Freelance Translator, 2011 – Present
- Senior Instructor of TOEFL & English, AIS, Jeju, Korea. April – July 2010
- Freelance English Teacher, Seongnam and Jeju, Korea. 2002 – 2010
- Research Analyst, Koreadotcom, Seoul, Korea. April – July 2000
- Intern, ROK Mission to the United Nations, NYC, USA. July – August 1999
- Senior Instructor of TOEFL & TOEIC, YBM/ELS Chongno, Seoul, Korea. January – May 1999
- Delegate, Korea-ASEAN Cooperation Project, Seoul and Gangwon, Korea. August 1998
- Assistant to the Managing Partner, Lee & Ko, Seoul, Korea. December 1996 – February 1998
GRANTS, AWARDS, & SCHOLARSHIPS:
- At Yonsei University:
Merit-based Scholarship, September 1996
Best Grade Award, July 1996
Merit-based Scholarship, March 1996
- From the Literature Translation Institute of Korea (KLTI): Translation Grant for Uri ga jeongmal araya hal yenniyagi baek gaji 2 [One hundred old tales we really need to know, vol. 2] by Seo Jeongo. August 2011
–2013. Chung Woothak. Iconography, technique, and context in Koryŏ Buddhist paintings.
Translated from the original Korean. In Kim Youn-mi (ed.), New Perspectives on Early Korean Art: From Silla to Koryŏ. Cambridge, MA: Korea Institute, Harvard University.
–2016. [co-translator]. The Veritable Records of King Sejong, vol. 1. Translated from the original Literary Sinitic. Gwacheon, Korea: National Institute of Korean History.
-2016. Yeopdeung ui o nyeon, yeokdong ui o baek nyeon [Five years of overreach and five hundred years of outreach]. In Yeoksa ui chang (A window on history: biannual newsletter of NIKH) vol. 43, Winter 2016 issue (p.51–5). Gwacheon, Korea: National Institute of Korean History.